Friday, September 11, 2009

Ghazal

Here's the ghazal I wrote over the summer that I was telling you about.

Unrequited Ghazal

The bumbles buzz, the sea is boiling blue
With anger brewed, but I, I'll wait for you.

By sandy ruins, holes dug deep, askew
In clay, pressed tight in palms. I'll wait for you.

By dunes, burying myself alone, chew
Some grit between my teeth. I'll wait for you.

By stormy waves, as Plath I'll walk into
The sea, too far to breath. I'll wait for you.

By sunken ships, and losing rosy hues
I'll tumble down to dark. I'll wait for you.

Justine Bienkowski



From wikipedia, here's a bit about the form:

"# A ghazal is composed of five or more couplets.
# The second line of each couplet (or sher) in a ghazal usually ends with the repetition of a refrain of one or a few words, known as a radif, preceded by a rhyme known as the qaafiyaa. In Arabic, Persian and Turkic the couplet is termed a bayt and the line within the bayt is called a misra. In the first couplet, both lines end in the rhyme and refrain so that the ghazal's rhyme scheme is AA BA CA etc.
# There can be no enjambement across the couplets in a strict ghazal; each couplet must be a complete sentence (or several sentences) in itself.
# All the couplets, and each line of each couplet, must share the same meter."

"The ghazal not only has a specific form, but traditionally deals with just one subject: Love. And not any kind of love, but specifically, an illicit and unattainable love."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghazal

No comments:

Post a Comment